Medieval art at Pinzano
[Divider mode = “bold” align = “left” width = “100%” text_align = “left”] [/ divider] The parish church of San Martino in Pinzano, whose first references date back to 1294, was initially born as an oratory with an adjacent place of worship, under the jurisdiction of Valerian churches. From the sixteenth century the structure began to be enlarged and embellished with frescoes, some of which were performed by the famous Giovanni Antonio De Sacchis, called Il Pordenone. The upgrades continued until the eighteenth century when the church assumed its present appearance.
Another work attributed to Pordenone, the Triptych of St. Michael the Archangel, St. John the Baptist and Saint Valerian of 1506, is located inside the Church of Santo Stefano, the valley of Valeriano, built in 1492 in Romanesque style with Gothic influences Restructured after the 1976 earthquake.
The famous painter Il Pordenone worked a lot in this area and in fact you can admire its Nativity dating to 1527 also inside the Church of Santa Maria dei Battuti, erected by the confraternity of the Battuti of Valerian around 1300. The building is on North side of Valerian Square.
A very singular story is that of the church of the Holy Trinity, commonly called “Santissima”, which is located in the valley of the village of Pinzano and at the cemetery. Along the way, the pedestrian road was built, which led to the Tagliamento ferry, but also the road that easily connected Pinzano and Val d’Arzino to the Friulian plain. The church is probably eighteenth-century origins, but we have evidence that there was an original church in the sixteenth century slightly more downstream than today’s. From an inscription on the main façade, it is learned that in 1740 there was a strong fort of Tagliamento that might have destroyed the previous building. At that time the church enjoyed a certain degree of importance, so much that it was the seat of a brotherhood and it was the destination of propitiatory processions from all of the Val d’Arzine. From 1723 to 1730, by bishop’s decree, pilgrims were granted plenary indulgence on the occasion of the Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity. From the end of the nineteenth century, the cemetery was joined to the village. Currently, the church is not open to the public, outside the religious celebration of November 1st.
Medieval testimonies in this area are not only religious but also civil. An example is the Mulino di Ampiano located in the hamlet of the same name, fraction of Pinzano al Tagliamento. Run by the waters of the torrent What, was in operation already in the 14th century. The ancient south facade, which was later enlarged in the building, housed a fresco of Pordenone depicting the Madonna della Misericordia. It is a work performed between 1524 and 1527, representing the Blessed Virgin Mary on the knees, four angels supporting her cloak and devotees with white hood, belonging to the brotherhood of the Battuti, then the owner of the mill. The fresco was donated to the Conegliano Museum in the 1950s. The mill ceased its activity in 1969 and is now part of the museum circuit of the Friulian Dolomites “Ecomuseum Lis Aganis” and is home to temporary exhibitions, cultural activities and educational workshops.
Walking in the center of Pinzano you can see Palazzo Savorgnan Rizzolati, built on the foundations of what was originally already in the sixteenth century the secondary residence, subordinate to the castle, of the Savorgnan family in Pinzano, a powerful family who ruled for several centuries in Friuli. Due to the ruin of the Savorgnan and the changed political situation, around the nineteenth century the palace changed a couple of owners to the hands of the new owner of the Rizzolati family, using the most beautiful stones, architects and arches of the castle Now in ruins to embellish the palace. After another passage of ownership, in 1925 the palace was divided between the pharmacist and the geometry of the country. Since 1939, the building is used as a town hall, while the eastern part of the building still houses the old pharmacy.
In an elevated position above the village stood the ancient castle of Pinzano. The first citation in a written document dates back to the 12th century, when the castle was inhabited by the lords of Pinzano. The estate passed to the powerful family of Savorgnan in 1352, the period in which the castle was the administrative and economic center of the Pinzano feudal estate. The building has undergone various transformations over the centuries. Under Venice in the 18th century the castle lost much of its military importance, but maintained the juridical, bureaucratic and financial control of the feud. Finally it was abandoned at the beginning of the nineteenth century. The 1976 earthquake decreed its ruin.