Val Cosa pink onion
[Divider mode = “bold” align = “left” width = “100%” text_align = “left”] [/ divider] The Pedemontana of Western Friuli, and in particular the area between Meduna and Cosa streams, was characterized up to 50 years ago by the prosperity of its cultivations. The small plot of land housed a wide variety of vegetables and fruits: shallots, beans, cabbage, apples, peri, potatoes but above all pink onions. The cultivation of this particular onion was very fruitful and the women sown it in a sheltered soil carefully at the end of January, after a couple of months harvesting it and picking it up at the end of summer. After they had dried the onions collected in the attics of the houses, they stuck the stems of the larger ones with particularly strong and flexible swamp grass, forming the typical braids through which the onions are kept throughout the year. The little ones were cooked and stored under vinegar. In addition to the cultivation and processing, the women of Val Cosa were also involved in the sale of the Pink Onion, and in fact they had loads of ribbons (braids) from the countries of Cavasso Nuovo and Castelnovo del Friuli and went to sell them in the early morning in the markets Of the larger centers such as Maniago and Spilimbergo. Or they went up to Claut, Barcis, Andreis, where they settled near dairies. In the poorest times they went south to the low Friulian countries, often just exchanging them with blave (corn flour) for polenta.
With the industrialization and abandonment of mountainous countries, the onion Rose has undergone a strong weakening, but in recent years thanks to the attention of Slow Food’s Friulian leadership and to many farmers enthusiasts, this delicate product has again found a strong Position on markets and Friulian tables.
The Pink Onion of the Val What is characterized by a medium bulb, round and slightly crushed on the poles. The interior is white and crisp mind the outside is pink. It is appreciated for its particular sweetness.
The parish church of San Martino in Pinzano, whose first references date back to 1294, was initially born as an oratory with an adjacent place of worship, under the jurisdiction of Valerian churches. From the sixteenth century the structure began to be enlarged and embellished with frescoes, some of which were performed by the famous Giovanni Antonio De Sacchis, called Il Pordenone. The upgrades continued until the eighteenth century when the church assumed its present appearance.
Another work attributed to Pordenone, the Triptych of St. Michael the Archangel, St. John the Baptist and Saint Valerian of 1506, is located inside the Church of Santo Stefano, the valley of Valeriano, built in 1492 in Romanesque style with Gothic influences Restructured after the 1976 earthquake.
The famous painter Il Pordenone worked a lot in this area and in fact you can admire its Nativity dating to 1527 also inside the Church of Santa Maria dei Battuti, erected by the confraternity of the Battuti of Valerian around 1300. The building is on North side of Valerian Square.
A very singular story is that of the church of the Holy Trinity, commonly called “Santissima”, which is located in the valley of the village of Pinzano and at the cemetery. Along the way, the pedestrian road was built, which led to the Tagliamento ferry, but also the road that easily connected Pinzano and Val d’Arzino to the Friulian plain. The church is probably eighteenth-century origins, but we have evidence that there was an original church in the sixteenth century slightly more downstream than today’s. From an inscription on the main façade, it is learned that in 1740 there was a strong fort of Tagliamento that might have destroyed the previous building. At that time the church enjoyed a certain degree of importance, so much that it was the seat of a brotherhood and it was the destination of propitiatory processions from all of the Val d’Arzine. From 1723 to 1730, by bishop’s decree, pilgrims were granted plenary indulgence on the occasion of the Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity. From the end of the nineteenth century, the cemetery was joined to the village. Currently, the church is not open to the public, outside the religious celebration of November 1st.
Medieval testimonies in this area are not only religious but also civil. An example is the Mulino di Ampiano located in the hamlet of the same name, fraction of Pinzano al Tagliamento. Run by the waters of the torrent What, was in operation already in the 14th century. The ancient south facade, which was later enlarged by the building, housed a fresco of Pordenone depicting the Madonna of Mercy. It is a work performed between 1524 and 1527, representing the Blessed Virgin Mary on the knees, four angels supporting her cloak and devotees with white hood, belonging to the brotherhood of the Battuti, then the owner of the mill. The fresco was donated to the Conegliano Museum in the 1950s. The mill ceased its activity in 1969 and is now part of the museum circuit of the Friulian Dolomites “Ecomuseum Lis Aganis” and is home to temporary exhibitions, cultural activities and educational workshops.
Walking in the center of Pinzano you can see Palazzo Savorgnan Rizzolati, built on the foundations of what was originally already in the sixteenth century the secondary residence, subordinate to the castle, of the Savorgnan family in Pinzano, a powerful family who ruled for several centuries in Friuli. Due to the ruin of the Savorgnan and the changed political situation, around the nineteenth century the palace changed a couple of owners to the hands of the new owner of the Rizzolati family, using the most beautiful stones, architects and arches of the castle Now in ruins to embellish the palace. After another passage of ownership, in 1925 the palace was divided between the pharmacist and the geometry of the country. Since 1939, the building is used as a town hall, while the eastern part of the building still houses the old pharmacy.
In an elevated position above the village stood the ancient castle of Pinzano. The first citation in a written document dates back to the 12th century, when the castle was inhabited by the lords of Pinzano. The estate passed to the powerful family of Savorgnan in 1352, the period in which the castle was the administrative and economic center of the Pinzano feudal estate. The building has undergone various transformations over the centuries. Under Venice in the 18th century the castle lost much of its military importance, but maintained the juridical, bureaucratic and financial control of the feud. Finally it was abandoned at the beginning of the nineteenth century. The 1976 earthquake decreed its ruin.