Pordenone, in the ancient toponym Portus Naonis has an indissoluble linkage with the river that crosses it: the Noncello, a waterway that for centuries has been navigable, leading to the economic development of the city. The beautiful old town, which can be walked on, is a testimony to a well-established medieval history thanks to its frescoed palaces and porticoes. Here was born Giovanni Antonio de Sacchis (1484-1539), known as Pordenone, Friulian greatest painter of the Renaissance, who was a pupil before Giorgione and then moved to Rome by Raffaello. From the ancient Palazzo del Comune, from the very original Gothic forms, begins Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, the ancient Contrada Maggiore, elegant street with long porticoes and palaces of great artistic and architectural interest: curated displays, typical restaurants and cozy cafés are currently the elements which characterize Pordenone’s life. From an artistic and cultural point of view, Pordenone has for years been distinguished by its dynamism and genius: cinema, art, literature and music that have allowed the city to be the scene of international air events such as “Pordenonelegge”, “Mute Cinema Days” , “Dedica Festival” and the “Blues Festival”.
Pordenone is also distinguished by the extraordinary nature that a few steps from the center develops along the right bank of the Noncello, living perfectly in harmony. Another large green area is Parco Galvani, which incorporates the residence of the Galvani family built at the end of the 18th century. The villa has been restored and enlarged by a new structure of the Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art Armando Pizzinato. The Park has a regular structure and reminds of the gardens of the Venetian villas including a pond on the shore of the MIRA – Museo Itineraio della Rosa Antica, an en plein air museum that through a pedestrian path allows you to admire the many varieties of roses and roses arranged to retrace the history of the rose and its pedigree tree.